That doesn't mean it is just one person's fault or either person's fault. It just didn't work. When you go through hard things it is pretty rare that you come out the other end of those trials in the same place as the person that you are married to.
I have been told more times than I can say that I am too naive and think that people are too good. That I shouldn't trust like I do. I have been hurt by this many times in my life BUT I will never change. I love believing that people are good. I love that I have been blessed by new friendships and love because of this.
I am truly happy for other people when they talk to me about the good things that happen in their lives.
I rarely feel envious and have NEVER assumed someone was out to get me or hurt anyone else. I have never tired to dig and find out the negative things about anyone.
I have tried really hard to not gossip or to walk away or change the subject if someone does gossip.
I have learned through my life trials that EVERYONE has something they struggle with. That we all sin differently and that NOONE has a perfect life. That we have something at home that is hard.
I truly can't understand this in other people and have cried many times over other people doing this.
What is it about our society that we feel like we need to gossip and talk about others. Do we need it to feel better about ourselves? Do we need to feel like we are better than someone if we can talk about them? Does it make our lives seem better?
I have tried to not ever do this to anyone and I feel terrible if I have ever made anyone feel bad like this. If I need to apologize please let me know and I will apologize.
One of the quotes read in RS today was one of my favorites ever about Gossip....
Even my name hisses. I am called Gossip.
I make headlines and headaches.
Before you repeat a story, ask yourself:
Is it true?
Is it harmless?
Is it necessary?
If it isn’t, don’t repeat it.
I don't understand why if Joey and I are friends and genuinely like each other but just don't love each other and haven't for years that people can't just accept that it didn't work. We stayed together for a lot of years because of our friendship and our kids.
Every marriage has and always will have hard things happen. Every person that gets married will do things to their spouse that can't be undone. That hurt terribly! It is never one sided. It is NEVER one persons fault.
I can look at my marriage to Justin and tell you that I played a part in my divorce happening. At the time it happened I would never have thought that. BUT I KNOW I was 50% of why we got divorced.
With Joey I can say that I did things to him that hurt him so much. I will always regret these things. He is a good man and deserved better BUT the same is true about him with me. I deserved better and he did things that hurt me terribly! I know he regrets them and wants nothing but happiness for me.
We are friends and are talking and enjoying our friendship, I know this is hard to believe but we both are talking about and understand that we probably should have gotten divorced a long time ago. We both want the other one to be happy and to find someone that makes them happy!
We have known this was coming for a long time and just because we didn't talk to other people about it and just decided to share it with our friends and family recently doesn't mean we haven't been talking about it and known it was coming for a long time.
We love each other and truly mean the things we are telling everyone. Just because a divorce happens doesn't mean it has to be ANYONE's fault. IT JUST didn't work.
And isn't it wonderful that we are trying to protect each other and remain friends rather than hurt each other and try to ruin each other's life's as we end our life together.
I wish everyone else would give us the same respect.........
This is just my humble opinion, but I think the reason why people may be gossiping (I haven't heard anyone) about your divorce is that there is a wide held belief that if you're married in the temple you are expected to endure your marriage no matter how miserable you are unless you're being physically beaten. The fact that you are so amicable towards each other is confusing to people because it is rare and because people assume it must not have been that bad. I personally think that marriages should be enjoyed, not merely endured--that's not celestial marriage to me.
ReplyDeleteAnd I so admire how you both are handling yourselves! Your kids will be blessed because of it!
When my sister got divorced, in what I considered to be my brother-in-law's fault, she told me the exact same thing- that it's never one person's fault. I think it's so good that you two are able to remain friends.
ReplyDeleteAnyone who even remotely knows you, knows that you are filled with love, optimism and endurance. If anyone could make good of a bad situation, it would be you. I am proud of you for acknowledging your situation for what it was and being able to move forward so amicably. As far as whoever those simple-minded backbiting self-righteous and judgmental gossipers are, never mind them, they have their fleeting self-aggrandizing reward of pious superiority. Then they have to return to their own hollow unfulfilling marriage made up of entrenched traditional roles that reek of duty, but lack substitive love and passion.
ReplyDeleteHang in there and keep moving forward. You are that you might have joy!