I am having back surgery on this coming Tuesday the 13th of November....I am so scared about the surgery. It is the most major surgery I have ever had. I herniated a disc in my back and I guess I did it so bad that it is crushing my nerve and nerve root. I have had a numb left leg for almost 2 months now, from my bum to my toes. I don't have any strength in that leg either at all. I have been walking with a limp because of it. I also have tremendous pain in my back and down my leg. The doctor told me that his goal is to get me 90% of the feeling and function back in my leg. That I would probably have a numb foot and toes for a long time, maybe forever. I am OK with this as long as I can run, hike, golf and do all of the other things that I love so much.
I am also really scared about the recovery. Anyone who knows me would tell you that I am the last person to sit still and not be constantly doing things. I don't have an exact on what I will be able to do yet. I know that I will be in the hospital for 2 days at least and then home in bed for 2 weeks. This will be 2 of the hardest weeks....I can't imagine just sitting there. After that I will have very limited activity for 6 months. So by late spring early summer I will be able to do the things that I love again. My friend Teresa said that she thinks I need someone with me constantly for the first 2 weeks not because she is worried about me physically but to have them sit on me so that I don't get up! Probably true so you all are welcome to come sit on my bed with me....Sounds super fun doesn't it!
I have been so blessed this year to do so many of the things I love so often.
One of my loves is GOLF. I golfed almost every day this year. To be out in the fresh air with friends having to think about distances and which club to use. It is truly one of my favorite things to do.
I have played in more golf tournaments than I probably should have. Placed in the top 3 in at least 75% of them. Not because I am that good...I just have friends that are that good and I get to play golf with them. I am a little bit competitive so it is good that my friends are good.
One of my other loves is running...If you know me you know this about me. I have been so fortunate to run most morning with my dear friends. This is my release, my sanity, it is my time for myself with my friends. I get to be out in the early morning which is my favorite time of the day with my best friends. Just laughing and enjoying the run, the freedom. I get to hear about their kids and families and what they are doing. Sometimes we cry, mostly we laugh. They are just the most incredible support system anyone could have.
I have been able to do a race at least almost every other weekend this year. With friends, with my family, or just by myself.
The Xterra 5K - place in the top 3 in this one...only because it is a 5k and a trail run sot here are not as many people there.
The Bairgutsman - This is probably the hardest race I do all year and it is my favorite too. I love the climb, the canyon. I love how hard it is and how gratifying it is when you get to the top after working so hard. Honestly every time I do this race Even after doing it for years I still wonder if I will be able to make it to the top.
The Vigor winter 5K - I did this one with Gage and Savana....We had a RIOT! playing in the snow and just enjoying each other. Gage and Savy both placed in their age groups. SUPER proud!
Spartan Race - This year was the Beast which is 12 miles with really hard obstacles mixed in along the way. This year I loved doing this race except for the barbed wire hill climb that had really sharp rocks all the way. I have a bad scar on my knee now for the rest of my life to remind me of this race. I don't think I will do this race again....unless someone talks me into it.
Dino Half - This race was in Vernal. I lived in Vernal for 2 years when I was younger. I have such found memories of Vernal. This is where I started competitively swimming, where I started playing the Violin. I have a couple of VERY dear friends still now that I met back then. This race started up my favorite canyon and ran past several of my friends homes, through the town and ended at an elementary school. This was beautiful and it was like running down memory lane. Plus it is one of the coolest medals I have.
Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay - Of course this is always a sweet race for me. This was my 9th year doing this race. It was a little OK a LOT sad though because it was the first year I didn't have any of my running friends on my team. Next year is the 10th anniversary, I am looking forward to running with my girls again.
SLC Half - I ran this with my friend Laena. My kids ran the 5k together. I really enjoyed this race. The course was beautiful. It was fun to run all over SLC. Laena is a fast runner and really pushed me hard on this race.
Vigor 13.1 Big Cottonwood - I ran this with Teresa. Oh we had fun! It was a small group of people which always makes races more fun. What an amazing course, we ran right down Big Cottonwood Canyon. I have always loved this canyon it reminded me of high school when I used to drive up there with friends. It was another reminder of why I love my running friends.
Striders winter racing Half - I did this one by myself and on a whim. I love the Ogden Valley so of course this was a beautiful race.
Swamphouse half - We went to Florida for my work convention and took the entire family. I signed the kids up for the 5k and I ran the half Marathon. I love doing this in other states and cities. What a fun way to talk to people and see where you are visiting. This was a beautiful course.
Skyline mtn marathon - This might be one of my favorite runs. How can you beat starting at the North Ogden Divide, climbing to the top of the mountain ridge where you can see into the Ogden Valley on both sides. Then running down one of the most beautiful trails there is in Utah to Pineview, then running on a trail around this beautiful lake to the finish.
Moab other half - Still my favorite Half marathons I do every year. I actually ran this one last October, because of the impending back surgery I didn't get to do it this October.
Halloween half - This was NOT my favorite half but it was fun to do it with my sister last October. I don't think I will ever do it again though. You would think that an entire race around dressing up would be my favorite. Because of how poorly ran this race was, I just didn't enjoy it.
Ogden Half - I love this race because I get to do it with all of my running friends. We have run this together for the last 4 or so years. There are usually about 8-10 of us. We all ride up North together and usually stay together. Last year Teresa was struggling because of her car accident and I told her that I would stay with her the entire time and I did. This year it just wasn't my day and I struggled. I told them all to go ahead of me. I wouldn't let any of them stay behind. about 2 miles later there sitting on the railing on the side of the road was my dear friend Teresa. She waited for me. After a few tears were shed. We finished together and helped our other friend Sue finish. What a beautiful run this was and always is. I am grateful for friends that help me get across the finish line.
Farmington Festival Half - Teresa and I ran this one together. Savy ran the 5k by herself amazing little girl. Teresa and I decided that since we both have lived in Farmington for so long...Her a LOT longer than me. That we should run our home town half. There were very few runners out there, we knew Many of them. My favorite part of this race besides doing it with my friend was about mile 10 we could hear the water station volunteers for about a half mile before we got to them because they were cheering so loud for all the runners.
Ragnar Trail experiment - I have blogged about this one previously....the only thing I can say is this will always be one of my favorite, hardest, most beautiful runs I have ever done. So proud of my team, of Savy and of myself for finishing this.
Haunted half - I just did this one 3 weeks ago and for sure should not have been out there running with my back. My typical time on a half is 2 to 2.15 hours this one took me 3 hours. It was a beautiful run! I LOVED dressing up for it even though I couldn't find my wonder woman costume! I loved running into my sister as I was getting on the bus. Not knowing that she was going to be there. I love my dear friend that stayed with me the entire time....walking a lot.....because of my numb leg and my back hurting. I will always treasure the 3 hours that it took to do this run.
Lick the pole 5k - I did this one with Savy and it was so much fun. It was a winter obstacle course race. She is amazing and I love that she will do all of these runs with me. I am a lucky mom!
Buffalo run 25k - I swore after last year that I would never do this race again because it was so hard for me. BUT of course I needed to try and conquer the course that about beat me last year. I ran this with my youngest brother Keithy. He was amazing and finished at least a half hour ahead of me. BUT I beat my time from last year by 30 Minutes!!!! This is a 17 mile race so to beat my time by that much is almost 2 minutes per mile faster. I LOVED the course and am really sad that I won't be able to do this race next year because it is in March and I won't be able to run by then.
I am sure I forgot a few.......
Not to mention all of the daily runs with my dear friends. The Hikes to different mountain peaks....I didn't get to summit all the ones that I wanted to this year. I had planned to summit my last one today even with the surgery coming up but the snow and lightning ruined that plan this morning. Instead I am sitting here blogging. I am looking forward to summit-ing several peak next year with a new healthy back!
I think I am the most sad that I will miss our annual Thanksgiving run this year as I won't even be able to drive on Thanksgiving. This is truly my favorite run of the year every year! We started it years ago and I have blogged about it before. It is with all of the women that I am lucky enough to run with. We go REALLY early so that everyone can get back to their families. We have gone in 4 degree weather and we have gone on years when it has been 50 degrees out. We drop a car off at the Bountiful temple and then drive to Eagle wood golf course and start there. We run along Bountiful Blvd to the temple. It is 4 miles to the temple with beautiful views of the valley and the sunrise the entire time. At the temple some people leave and drive home. The rest of us run back to the other car so we get an 8 mile run in. Typically this run is filled with stories of what we are thankful for. I am Grateful for a healthy, strong body that allows me to do all of these crazy, wonderful things. I am grateful for friends and family that will do them with me and that push me to be a better person and just better.
I am grateful for a body that does and will heal. I am looking forward to recovering and getting back out on the road. BUT I am also looking forward to the recovery time and learning more about myself and reading books...taking time for things I normally don't.
Please be patient with me if I am grumpy because I can't exercise......I will say I am SORRY now!
No comments:
Post a Comment