I LOVE where I live.
There are so many reasons that I love living here...the tree lined streets, the amazing people and the absolute small town feel. I feel like I know almost everyone that lives here, even though I know I don't. Before Station Park opened, we had one restaurant and very few stores.
When I was on the planning commission for Farmington City a few years ago, the big joke was that the best place to eat was "VIP" which is a gas station.
This past week was Farmington Festival Days. Everything about Farmington Festival Days is small town. There are events all week like a movie night in the park, a flag ceremony, a 5k, 10k, a half marathon and a race up the mountain to flag rock, then a Pancake breakfast in the park, a carnival, fireworks, a youth dance and party in the park.
Last Thursday I tried to talk my kids into running the 10k Saturday. Both Gage and Cassi turned me down because they didn't want to get up that early. So then I asked my running friends if they would walk/run the half marathon with me. I was able to convince Teresa to do it with me and then Savana still wanted to run so I signed her up to do the 5k.
Teresa and I ran the half marathon, it was a struggle for me. My side/stomach issues acted up and it was one of my slower times for a half. I think we were pretty close to last place. But it was pretty sweet to run past so many peoples homes that I know, love and have sweet memories with. Also, to run it with one of my dearest friends was wonderful.
We ran past Greyden's house, the Cemetery where Kailee is buried, past our old house in South Farmington, the Fadel sign and so many neighbors, friends and family. It is a small half marathon, not even 230 people running it.
About 7 years ago before they had the half marathon, I ran the 10k with a couple of friends. It was the hottest day and there was no shade on the route. This is where my side issues first started. I think that is why I have always said I don't like this race. I came across the finish line and thought I was going to die. I ended up in the ER later that night, almost had emergency surgery, did end up having 3 separate procedures/surgeries to try and fix the pancreas/heartburn/intestinal/really really bad side ache that never goes away issues. I am still going to different doctors to try and figure it out.
It really doesn't bother me except sometimes when I am running and then it is so frustrating because if it starts to act up, there is just nothing I can do about it but slow down my run and or walk. My legs feel strong and I feel like I could run forever except for the piercing pain in my side.
I think this is why my side acted up on Saturday....to honor that this is where it all began during the Farmington Festival days race. haha
As we came across the finish line, Savana was there waiting for us, very eager to eat since she had waited for us to eat.
We made our way over to the park and breakfast and visited with friends.
Teresa got a medal! She took 2cnd place in her age group even with our slower time.
Then we headed over to Main Street for the parade, It was fun to see lots of people we knew in the parade. Savana actually ditched me part way through and went on one of the floats with Judy Allen who was in the parade. I continued to watch the parade by myself and just felt very grateful for where I live and for the wonderful people that I call neighbors and friends.
Sounds like I really missed out! I wish I would have run with you and Teresa. I love Farmington too. I love downtown quaint Farmington and I'm excited about all the new Farmington Station stores too. And I of course love my wonderful friends Annie and Teresa from Farmington!
ReplyDelete