Friday, April 27, 2012

destruction and service

I have always loved yard work and having a beautiful yard. One of the things I fell in love with when I bought our house was the incredible yard and the property.......
WELL...the big windstorm of 2011 absolutely destroyed my yard. I know most people in Davis County had damage and were affected by the storm.
On December 1 we had over 100 mph winds tear through our community. I think I heard that in our small little Ward/Neighborhood there were over 130 trees down. We woke up during the night because the winds were so strong, I got up about 4 AM to a loud crash...looked out of the windows on the South side of my house and the 50 year old pine tree that was between our house and our neighbors house was on the ground dead center between our houses. If it had fallen a foot either direction it would have taken out my house or Mary's. The fence that separates our houses was torn up by the roots of the tree and in the air. Also sprinkler pipes sticking out of the ground. I was so shocked, I couldn't believe that HUGE tree could be down.

I went to the North side of the house to see 3 of our pine trees either laying down or almost laying down. Of course then I went to the front of the house to see if the HUGE pine tree that has been the centerpiece of our front yard was down. Honestly this tree was one of the reasons we love our house. This tree wasn't down.....yet!

I went outside and it was VERY scary how powerful the winds really were. I quickly went back inside to wait out the storm.
We had no power and it felt like the house was going to blow away. We sat there as a family and just watched the destruction, trying to figure out what we should do. About 7-8 AM we were all standing in the front room watching our Big tree in front heave and lift with each gust of wind until it finally gave in and came down on the the house. You wouldn't think you would be so sad about a tree but I can say that we truly mourned the loss of this tree. Once the wind died down and we were able to go outside, It was shocking how much destruction there truly was in our yard and our neighbors.

The next few days were such a testament to me of the human spirit and taking care of our neighbors and community. The day (Friday) after the storm we got outside to try and clean up and even though they had damage in their yards our wonderful neighbors Doug Wood and Keith White came over to help me get the tree off of the house. Between Doug, Keith and I we worked for hours to cut the branches off, carry them to the street and then start cutting up the main part of the tree. It was truly amazing to watch this happen.








The next day (Saturday) tons of neighbors met with chainsaws, gloves and big hearts at 8 AM to put together a plan to take care of the neighborhood and start the cleanup. What a humbling experience this was to see a community to come together like this. We moved from house to house, picking up branches, cutting down trees, picking up garbage, carrying everything to the curb for the city to come and pick up the next day or so. There were mountains of branches and debris lining the streets. This was Saturday and we worked until dark. The next morning, Sunday, we got the phone call that Church had been cancelled because there was another wind storm coming, We needed to get outside and work more. We had to get everything we had hauled to the curbs moved because the wind was coming. I have to say this was truly one of the most wonderful, humbling days I have ever had. It was just amazing to see a community come together like ours did. We live on Main Street in Farmington which was one of the only roads leading to the temporary dump site that was set up for all of the branches and trees. As we were outside loading up our trucks and trailers..9 out of 10 cars that drove past were loaded down with branches and trees. It was amazing! I drove my truck and trailer to the dump site in West Farmington a couple of times. The line to unload was a couple of miles long and the MOUNTAIN of trees out there was just MASSIVE! I backed my truck and trailer up and before I could get out of the truck there were men unloading me. I asked them if they worked at the sewer plant (where we were) or for the city. They said no that when church was cancelled and the temp dump site was announced their yards were clean and they figured that people could use help there. Some of them were directing traffic, others just helping to unload.
Driving back to main street, there were people out working on every street. Back at my house people just kept showing up, a Friends husband, a brother in law that lives in Bountiful and so many others that were just there to help.
A neighbor brought a dump truck, several neighbors brought their tractors over to pull the root balls out or move wood pieces.










 The wall of debris blocking our driveway                            


What an amazing example of Love thy neighbor, serving each other and just plain hard work.
Since the wind storm we have had a yard that is completely destroyed, It was nice to have it be winter so that we didn't have to face it.
As Spring came about in the last month or so, we have been forced to look at the yard and try to figure out what we are going to do.
In some ways it is nice because we have a blank canvas to work with and we can do what we want to but in so many other ways it is so frustrating because of the expense and work that we weren't planning on. AND NO your home owners insurance DOES NOT pay anything for landscaping.
As we started making plans we realized we need to tear out all of the fitzers that line main street along our entire property line, We need to tear concrete out, replace the fence on both sides of the house, redo the sprinklers and most of the plants that didn't blow away were smashed by the trees that fell down. We got a couple of bids for the work that needs to be done and it was $23,000.00 so we obviously decided we will do most of the work ourselves......Which means our yard will look like crap for the next couple of years....very discouraging.
I was complaining about this to my friends and obviously enough that Sandra told her husband Robert who is the YM president in our ward. He called us on Monday night and said "The YM/YW are doing a combined service project this week. Sandra mentioned how much you work you have to do in your yard. We were given names in the ward of who needs help with yard work. I drove past all of those houses and yours in the worst by far. We would like to come over and help you on Wednesday." This call me laugh because our yard really does look awful. I feel bad for my neighbors. BUT it is hard to accept help when you are healthy and able. I was feeling guilty the next day and texted him to find someone else...He wouldn't have it so the next day 30 leaders and YM/YW showed up at the house to help us with chainsaws, trucks and tools. It is amazing what a group of people can accomplish when they go to work.
Half of the Fitzers are out and the main planter area that was under the BIG pine tree is mostly cleaned out.

Yes those are my fitzers in the middle of main street being dragged down to my field.
















I am so grateful for friends and neighbors that are so willing to help others. what a blessing you are to me and my family!
THANK YOU will never be enough.....and an I'M SORRY will not be enough for the way my yard will look for the next who knows for how long.
Here are some photo's of the yard before the storm.










2 comments:

  1. The clean up experience was amazing for us as well. We'll be watching with interest to see what happens with your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to Joey's burm so you can park your awesome jeep on it like the Landrover dealership! Thanks for the opportunity to help our good friends and neighbors. Let us know when your ready for round two!

    ReplyDelete