Thursday, May 14, 2015

Running 40 miles for 40 years of life - part 2


What an amazing day Saturday was. The thoughts I have about Saturday are that I am so humbled and grateful. Humbled by the support I received and the things people did to make my journey so much better. Overwhelmingly grateful for the life I have lived and for the people that have touched my heart. Grateful for everything they do for me to make me a better person.

Every time I think about my 40-mile journey, I am just overwhelmed. 

The alarm went off at 4AM. It was raining so hard and I didn't really feel good. I told Brad, “let's just call the whole thing off.” He gently pushed me and reminded me how much I have wanted to do this and eventually I got out of bed. Alesa showed up at the house to follow us out and we went to pick Tauni up so she could be in the support car with Brad. That is true friendship, getting up before 4 am to come and help me do something crazy. 

As we were driving out to Magna, I kept thinking, "WHAT AM I DOING?" and "I don't think I can do this!" It was fun to drive out west knowing that Brad, Tauni, and Alesa had never been that far west before. I asked them if they even knew this part of Salt Lake existed. 

We were about 10 minutes from the cemetery when I got a text from my AMAZING friend Matt saying that he was already there waiting for us. His plan was to spend the ENTIRE day following me along this journey to take pictures for me. I don't know what I did to deserve a friend like him. He was laid in the mud, climbed viaducts in the pouring ran, followed us around taking pictures all day long. When we went on the trail, Matt went home, changed out of his wet clothes, loaded some pictures that he had taken that morning, and then came back out to find us. It is fun to see someone so passionate and doing something they love so much. I will forever be grateful for these pictures. I am still trying to figure out how to pay him back. 

My parents called to say they were almost to the Cemetery about 5AM. They planned on doing the entire route with me on their Eliptigo's. When we got to the Cemetery, my older sister Lorisa was waiting there. Her plan was just to run with me until she was tired and then her hubby would pick her up. My cousin Tyler also showed up to start with me. I knew he was planning on running with me at some point but didn't know where. He was originally going to only do 4 miles but as we kept running, he just kept going. Tyler started running a few years ago and now probably runs more than me. His dad and I were extremely close as teenagers. We tried to figure out on the run how distantly we are related…but couldn't. His Great grandma and my Grandpa are brother and sister. 
At about 5:15 I got a text from my friend Dave Witt that said, "Let's do this!" He was starting his run from Bingham High School to meet us. 

We walked around the Bertoch family plot so I could show everyone who was buried there. It really was fun to look at the headstones of so many family members and think about the legacy they left in all of us. 
We took a few pictures (my parents are not in them as they were too busy getting their bikes ready). 



We started running at about 5:30. It was raining and dark but so beautiful. This cemetery is up on the Oquirrh Mountains and we could see all of the lights of Salt Lake. We started down the hill at a pretty good pace. 
The view
My crazy parents


It was really fun to run past so many places with childhood memories. We ran down the middle of 3500 South—something I never thought I would do. Having my older sister run this with me meant so much to me.

Lorisa is only 19 months older than me, and only a year ahead in school. We were extremely close when we were kids. As we hit junior high we had very different friends and were NOT close. There were many years when I thought she and I could never find a way to have a relationship again because of the pain between us. 

She is the sister who watched my girls when they were younger and loved them like her own, even in spite of our strained relationship. She was the one that watching Kailee when her accident happened. I have said and will say again, “IT WAS NOT HER FAULT IN ANY WAY.” She did exactly what I would have done. I know she has blamed herself for so many years and this makes me so sad. I think the only person that Kailee's accident has been harder for than me, is she. The last 10 years we have both worked really hard to repair any and all damage done and are very close now. I admire her strength and her “screw you” attitude that she gives the world. I love the fact that when hard things happened to her when we weren't talking, she still called me and wanted me to be there first. I love that she told me I am the only person she would do something like this for. I love my sister more than she knows. I am so grateful she is mine. It was really fun to run past so many places where we did things as kids.

Alesa did the first 4 miles with me before having to drive to Logan with her family. She moved into my neighborhood about 9 years ago, I think. We were initially friends, but not "running friends". Then one day a few years ago she read one of my blog posts about running and decided that she was going to come and run with us. She has been out there ever since. I love this lady—biggest heart and always willing to do anything for anyone. I love her upbeat attitude and fun personality. She ran my first half marathon with me, in the pouring rain, after my back surgery. 


Our first stop was at Grandma Bertoch's house. This beautiful lady was outside under her carport with a blanket wrapped around her to cheer for me. My brother Hiram lives next door to Grandma. He and his daughter Emma were outside. Hiram is just 2 years younger than me. Growing up he was the weirdest person I knew. But we were friends and always got along. He is still weird but wonderful too. I admire the family he is raising. I love the way he loves his wife and kids. He works hard and is a good person. PLUS he named one of his daughters after me, so that is super cool. 

I feel so grateful to come from the family I do.



I haven't walked, run, or biked down 3500 South since I was probably 15. It was really neat to run past houses and places that I know so well and have so many memories of. 
As we turned down 5600 West Brad asked why I had chosen to run down this street with it being so busy. There were two reasons. First, our fields came almost all the way to 5600 West, so even though it is covered in houses and businesses now, it is still where I spent the majority of my childhood. We would walk through the fields to get to Kmart or Hardee's. This was our playground. Second, it goes past my first house. As we ran past this townhouse and Balmoral, I found 2 Kailee pennies, which is so wonderful for me (see previous blog post about why this place means so much to me). 

As we were running across the 2100 South freeway overpass, I thought about all the times I have taken that exit to go home. My parents turned around at this point because it was too rainy and their bike things can tip over easy and they didn't want to get hurt. They got up early and were willing to come and experience this craziness with me.

I have the coolest parents EVER!

They taught me everything about being good people. My mom has always had this crazy sense of adventure and was always up for anything. She still is. I get my love of costumes and doing crazy things from her. She was a very fun mom growing up and now. My Dad is quiet and HUGE but very mischievous. He is always teasing us. He and my mom are the ones that installed my love of running, the outdoors and anything adventurous. 




This portion of the run was really stinky because we were by the dump. I have a habit of picking up odd things I find while running. It is so interesting to me the things that you can find on the side of the road. (Other people think it is weird, but I have found some pretty cool things.) There were Barbie legs and several other toy pieces. My sister wouldn't let me pick the Barbie legs up though. I did find a heart that says “I love you” on it. I picked it up and ran with it the rest of the way. 


This portion was also really busy with lots of trucks running down 56th. I was happy to turn onto 700 South. I had never been on this road before and was excited to see what was on it. We had very few cars pass us as we ran here. 



Brad got out of the car and ran with me as we turned onto 700 South. There were now 4 of us out there. I had stolen his knee brace because my IT band started acting up at about mile 6. As we ran down this road, we passed houses that are here. I had no idea anyone lived out there. It was a beautiful stretch of the run and we just visited and ran. We found a shopping cart and pushed each other for a while. 



As we were running down 700 South I noticed orange balloons. I had seen orange balloons at the cemetery gates and a couple of other places along the route. When I saw them here, I knew they had to be for me. Orange is my favorite color and there was no way it was coincidence. I asked Brad if he knew who had done it but he wouldn't tell me. 

Our next big stop was at 400 South and Redwood Rd. We met Dave here. He had been waiting for awhile for us. Tyler decided that after 14 miles he was done. He and I shot off the confetti cannon he had brought with him and he called for a ride and went to wait in the Maverick. 


Now it was me, Brad, Dave, and Lorisa running East on 400 South to downtown Salt Lake. People looked at us like we were crazy. Going over the freeway on 400 South, there was another shopping cart. This one was filled with all of someone's possessions. I can't imagine living like that especially on a rainy or cold day. They had a package of muffins that were partially eaten but were getting soaked by the rain. All their blankets and shoes were soaked. It made me so grateful for all that I have—a warm home and plenty of food. I am very blessed and I acknowledge this. It was very humbling. 









I loved running through downtown. We went passed one of our favorite restaurants Brugge and almost stopped for fries but decided it would take too long. We ran past where Brad and I went on our first date, stopping for a kiss. 

My friend Jennifer Andrus Wheeler met us here to start running. I have known Jenn since High School. She was one of my closest friends. We lost touch for a number of years and then I heard she wanted to move back to Utah. I offered to help her find a house, and found her one in my ward. I have LOVED having her so close and building our friendship again. She started running with our group right when she moved in. She helped me through one of the toughest patches of my life a few years ago. She was planning on doing the trail portion of the run with me, which was fitting—her helping me with the toughest part.

As we walked up Main Street towards the Capitol (it was really steep), my sister Karrie was walking down the street towards us. She had an umbrella and a bag full of PB&J sandwiches. That was the best sandwich I have ever had. I was really hungry. 



Karrie is my youngest sister and such a sweet soul. She is opposite of me in every way. One of the shyest, most quiet people you will ever meet. She does not run but was willing to come and walk a few blocks with us. I love that she left her sweet little family to come and do this with me. 

We went past one of the houses that my Grandma lived in when she was a child. We also walked past the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer Museum. This made me think of my Grandma and all the hours she has spent involved with this organization. 

My Bestie Amanda showed up with a brownie for me and walked with us from the capitol up Columbus Street. She is like a sister to me. I was lucky enough to be able to go to the temple with her for her first time. I love this lady. 





Tauni had been driving Brad's car so that he could run with me. The plan was for Brad and Tauni to support me from the car for the first half of the run and then Cassi and her friends were going to take over for the last half. Cassi, Aubs and Nat had arrived in my jeep so we could switch food and things to the jeep. 

As we walked past the apartment where we lived for the first year and a half of Cassidy's life I found 2 more Kailee pennies. It was fun to show Cassi where she lived. She had never been there before. 

We got to the top of Columbus Street, I changed my shirt for the 3rd time because it was soaked through. I also changed my gloves, shoes, and socks and put a jacket on for the trail. We got all the cars switched around and Brad left to go and get things ready at the house. Cassi, Nat, Aubs and Tauni went to wait in North Salt Lake on the other side of the trail for us.


I started thinking as we headed off on this trail. I loved that the first half of my run was in Salt Lake County and the last half was in Davis County. That is how my life has been, the first half was spent in Salt Lake County and the last half in Davis. I hadn't thought about this until then. 

Dave had decided that he was going to go all the way to the finish with us, so at this point it was me, Dave, Lorisa, and Jenn on the trail. It was so beautiful. We were in the clouds the entire time. I had never been on this trail before. I had heard about it but wasn't sure what to expect. When we were able to see out, the views were spectacular. I had no idea how pretty it would be. We walked all of the uphill part. Well Lorisa and I did. Jenn and Dave ran ahead because Dave was freezing.


As we started on the downhill part, my IT bands on both legs were hurting so bad that I thought I was going to be done. It was a very slow decent. As we came to the opening in North Salt Lake and saw the jeep waiting for us, I wanted to cry. I hurt so bad and really didn't think I could go on. We were at 23 miles here. 

Lorisa decided that she had had enough. She was frozen and tired. I told Tauni that I didn't think I could go on. She said, “Yes you are! Lay down on the picnic table. Let me rub your legs and try to put them back in place.” I was screaming as she rubbed my IT bands, but it helped. She and I did a marathon together in Jan. where her IT band went out, and I wouldn't let her quit. I love that she kept me going. 

Tauni and I have been friends for 10 years. She is the first person that talked to me at church when I moved into North Farmington. We have had so many adventures together. She tells people one of the things she loves about me is that I always say “yes” and am always up for an adventure. I love her for the same reasons. We have run races together all over. She is one of my go-to people for advice on life. She has been through so much and is still smiling and living life to the fullest. I love that she got up at 4 AM to spend the entire day with me. She started running with me at this point and went almost to the finish but had to leave so that she could go warm up the bread pudding she had made for the finish party.



I changed my shoes and socks again at this point, trying to avoid blisters. Aubs and Nat did this for me because my fingers were so frozen. I have to point this out because they both told me how much they hate feet and that they must really love me to do this for me.

Aubs and Nat are Cassidy's best friends, and I consider them my daughters from other mother's. I love them like my own. They have spent so many days, nights, and time at the house with us. I was lucky enough to get to take them on a graduation trip to New York last year. I am so grateful they would come and spend their Saturday with me. 

Tauni and I walk/ran together trying to get my IT band to work. Dave and Jenn ran ahead of us to stay warm. When we got to Eaglewood Golf course there were more dear friends waiting. 


Kristen and Tasha Bell. I have known both of them for about 10 years too. Kristen was not able to run so I told her I would walk with her. The plan was that when we were walking Kristen would be with me and when we were running Tash would be with me. That seemed silly and I wanted to spend the time with both of them so we walked the next 4 miles together.

Kristen and I have been running together for 10 years. She is a beautiful lady—the classiest one I know. I am so grateful for her friendship and love. Tasha is her daughter and one of my dear friends. 


As we walked and talked we had a few other friends join us along the boulevard: Nina Brostrom, Tauni's daughter and my dear friend, Trevor Hunsaker, who I met doing a Ragnar in San Francisco and Kristin Bell, Kristen Bell's daughter in law and a dear friend to me.

I honestly could not have imagined that so many people would take time out of their Saturday to come and run with me. 



Nina and Dave decided to keep running to stay warm, so they went ahead of us. I love that Nina is willing to go and run 13 miles with someone that she had never met. Knowing Nina, she probably loved it. I love Nina's love for everyone that she meets. If you meet her you are instantly one of her best friends. 
As we turned onto 400 East there was my dear friend Teresa Wood who started me on this crazy idea when she did her 50-mile birthday run. She has known me for 10 years so she wanted to do the last 10 miles with me. This woman is the most humble, selfless, hardworking person I know. She feels things more deeply than most ever will. I am so grateful to live less than a half mile from her. She is my go-to person if I ever need help because I know she will be there anytime day or night. 

John and Ashley Connors were here to join me too. They both had costumes on which was AWESOME!!!! They told me that I was the only person they would run in costume for. I love these people. I remember years ago, being in their home and seeing sweet little notes that John had left for Ashley, calling her “wifey”. This, and the way they are with each other, left such an impression on me. Before I met Brad I would always hope and pray to be able to find a love like they have. They are truly best friends. They like each other and it shows. They both think the other spouse is the coolest person on earth. I think they are both the coolest people I know. They are always willing to do anything for anyone and I absolutely adore them and am so so lucky to call them my friends. 




Savy also decided she wanted to do the last 10 miles with me so she got out of the Jeep to run too. 

What an awesome crew we had at this point.


Along Bountiful Boulevard we started seeing orange signs of encouragement along with the balloons. As we were going along Main Street in Centerville my amazing coworkers, and friends, Trish and Samy showed up with my favorite donut ever. They had gotten up at 2:30 that morning to go put balloons and signs out all along the way. They decorated Kailee's grave and the house. These women make my days so much more fun at work. I can't believe they got up that early to do something like that for me. 



When we had about 5 miles left to go Cassidy got out of the jeep to run with us. My friends Janeen and Renae showed up to run and my friend Jared drove by to say “hi” and to video us. 

We then went to Kailee's grave. It was wonderful to run there with my other girls and so many close friends. 


 While we were there, another close friend Danielle and her husband showed up. Danielle walked a mile with us until we stopped to buy treats at the Chevron and use the bathroom.


At this point I was getting silly and loopy. Thank heavens for John and his safety measures to keep all of us safe when we just walked into the street. 





I LOVED being able to visit with everyone as we ran and to hear stories about them that I had never heard before. We were quite the herd of people coming down the road. 

As we ran from Park Lane down Main Street to the house, it was very surreal. As we came to the top of the hill and could see the house I was stunned. There was a HUGE crowd. I kept saying to Cassi, “who is at the house? What is happening? How are there so many people there?”

It was just amazing and humbling. 


My sweet husband had bought 40 roses and given them to people there to give me as I ran up. He made me a medal out of 2 different types of wood with an orange ribbon. Etched in the back it said "Annie Macdonald, 40 miles, 40 years, May 9, 2015." 




I truly have the most amazing man as my husband. He did so much to make sure this was special and amazing. I had no idea everything he was up to in making this special. I adore him. There were SO MANY people that showed up—people from my swim team, my other siblings, Brad's siblings, my parents, friends, neighbors—I was just blown away by who was there and how many. They all had a finish line ribbon for me to run through.

It took me about 2 hours longer than I thought because of the unexpected walking, the rain, and having to change shoes and clothes. YET no one left. They all just hung out visiting with each other until I got there. I also had people sending me texts that couldn't be here or dropping off gifts.

Thank you!

AND I DID IT! I honestly didn't know if I could do it. I know that I could not have done it without so many wonderful people that did so much for me.







This experience really has me reflecting on life and how we really cannot do it alone. We need each other. We need the support, the laughter, the tears, and the encouragement. God puts us in each other’s lives for a reason. Some for only a short time, and others for forever, and I am who I am because of the people and experiences that I have had the last 40 years.

There were so many things during this run that represent life. 

Life is never what we plan or what we think it is going to be. No matter how much we plan and prepare, we don't have control. At least I know I don’t. But God does. I could never have imagined that the last 40 years would go like they did, and as hard as some of them have been, I am grateful for every moment. 

I have planned this run for so long and it just happened to fall on the rainiest days I remember in Utah ever. I had been scared that it would be too hot. I am so grateful that it wasn't. I loved that it rained all day. It was beautiful, and that much more amazing to me that people were willing to come out in the rain to be a part of this amazing journey. 
Taking time and giving that time to another is the most precious gift we can give in this life. It makes such a difference and means so much. I am forever grateful for those that took the time to be there for me. 

Thank you everyone for supporting me in my midlife crisis and craziness. 
This journey made me want to live life completely and fully even more. It made me remember so many things. 

I have had several people ask me how my "race" was. It was not a race. It was a journey.

One of my favorite quotes is by Bonnie Mohr. I have this hanging in my bathroom and LOVE IT!

“Life is not a race - but indeed a journey. Be Honest. Work Hard. Be Choosy. Say 'thank you', and 'great job' to someone each day. Go to church, take time for prayer. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh. Let your handshake mean more than pen and paper. Love your life and what you've been given, it is not accidental ~ search for your purpose and do it as best you can. Dreaming does matter. It allows you to become that which you inspire to be. Laugh often. Appreciate the little things in life and enjoy them. Some of the best things really are free. Do not worry, less wrinkles are more becoming. Forgive, it frees the soul. Take time for yourself ~ Plan for longevity. Recognize the special people you've been blessed to know. Live for today, enjoy the moment.” –Bonnie L. Mohr
This says exactly how I feel!

2 comments:

  1. You are incredible!! Amazing and inspiring! XO
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!!! It was an amazing day. I still can't believe that I did it.

      Delete