About 3 weeks ago my Bishop (who happens to be one of my best friend's husband) asking if I would be willing to speak in Ward Conference about my experience with being "rescued". My first reaction was well I will be out of town that weekend so I am dodging a bullet....But I said to him, "Let me think about it for a minute and I will call you back". I went and said a prayer and went "dammit, I need to cancel my hotel room. Called Bishop Wood back and said OK I will speak.
As I prepared my talk with the hard topic that he gave me, I struggled to make sure that I would be guided to the right quotes and thoughts. That it would come out in the right way. I didn't want to offend anyone or make anyone feel uncomfortable.
After asking a couple of friends to read through my prepared talk, I felt confident enough as Sacrament meeting started last week. I was very nervous to get up there and bare my soul but felt good about the content.
Here is my talk:
I was born
to the most wonderful parents and family. I was raised in the church and was
very active, went to Seminary and did everything I was supposed to do. At 19 I
got married in the temple. My first marriage was really difficult. We were
divorced 4 years later.
I had 2
young girls, a lot of anger and became inactive in the church. Poor choices
over the next year led me to sitting in my bishops office and being excommunicated.
I left the meeting a very angry person. I didn’t understand. How could this
happen? How was I here?
I had a
wonderful ward and family members that were kind and patient with me. My
parents held steady and firm with their testimonies. They loved me and accepted
me. They didn’t push me but let me know that they knew the Gospel was true.
The first counselor
in my ward Bishopric, Justin Monson, and his wife took the time to become my
friends. They would stop by to visit. They invited me to dinner. The
conversation was rarely about the gospel at first. They took a genuine interest
in me. They gave me hope that there was still a chance I could come back. That
it wasn’t too late. Eventually these visits and dinners did turn to gospel discussions,
and they asked if I would be willing to take the missionary discussions.
I began
thinking about what I wanted and how I felt when I was a member and how I felt
now. I began to contemplate this loss I
had felt. There was a definite loss the
moment I was excommunicated. It was a
tangible difference. I was amazed at how different I felt. I realized there was
a feeling of loss that was profound. As I contemplated this I felt I wanted to have
the spirit be in my life again. I was born in the church, so I don’t know that
I had ever recognized how much the spirit was a part of my life.
I decided
that I was going to figure out if I even believed any part of the gospel and
either come back to the church or be done with it forever. I took the
missionary discussions in the Monson’s home. They made arrangements for someone
else in the ward to watch my girls. I started reading the Book of Mormon by myself
and with a couple of the women in the ward that Brother Monson had suggested.
As I went through this, I realized that I wanted the spirit back. I didn’t want
to be on the outside looking in anymore. For the first time in my life I became
converted to the Gospel. In my 20’s I gained a testimony of my own. What a
marvelous blessing this has been to me since that time.
President Boyd K Packer: It was understood
from the beginning that in mortality we would fall short of being perfect. It
was not expected that we would live without transgressing one law or another.
No matter what our transgressions have
been, no matter how much our actions may have hurt others, that guilt can all
be wiped out. To me, perhaps the most beautiful phrase in all scripture is when
the Lord said, “Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven,
and I, the Lord, remember them no more.”
That is the promise of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the
Atonement: to take anyone who comes, anyone who will join, and put them through
an experience so that at the end of their life, they can go through the veil
having repented of their sins and having been washed clean through the blood of
Christ. End quote.
I have experienced this! I have been
converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ! I KNOW that my savior lives, I know
that the atonement is there for each of us.
I was
rebaptized about a year and a half after I was excommunicated.
Brother
Monson and his family were there even though I had moved away from the ward. 3
years later when I was able to get my temple blessings back and go to the
temple for the first time again Brother and Sister Monson were there holding my
hand with tears streaming down their faces. They loved me despite my past choices,
they treated me like a daughter of God. They gave me the courage to come back
even though I was so embarrassed and ashamed. I never felt judged by them. They
were my friends no matter what….they loved me and helped save me! I don’t know
that I would have come back without them. It is and can be very simple things
that will save someone who needs or wants to come back to the gospel. I am so
grateful to the Monson’s and will forever hold a special place in my heart for
them and their example.
I am so grateful to again have the gospel
in my life. I am so grateful for the ability to go to the temple. I am so
grateful for and cherish my membership in this church.
Sugar Beets and the Worth of a Soul
President
Monson teaches. He tells the parable of a farmer who was driving a large
open-bed truck filled with sugar beets. As he drove along the road, some of the
beets fell out along the roadside. When the farmer realized some of the beets
had been lost, he insisted on going back to get them, because, he said, they
had just as much sugar as the rest of the beets. President Monson compares
these beets that have fallen from the truck to those members of the Church who
have fallen from activity. To our Father in Heaven, they have just as much
value as the rest of His children, and He wants us to go back and rescue them.
President
Monson says: “The Lord emphasized the worth of each man or woman, youth or
child when He declared:
“‘The
worth of souls is great in the sight of God. …
“‘And
if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this
people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy
with him in the kingdom of my Father!
I am very grateful for a select couple who were
willing to step out of their daily lives and overlook my shortcomings to be my
friends, Through their example and love, they’ve taught me the gospel again and
helped me find my way back to my testimony and to my Heavenly Father.
Pres.
Kimball: I have always loved the parables of the Master, particularly two that
focus on our brothers and sisters who have temporarily lost their way. The
parables were given at a time when the Lord was chastised by the scribes and
Pharisees for his work with “publicans and sinners.”
“And
the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and
eateth with them.
“And
he [Jesus] spake this parable unto them, saying,
“What
man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the
ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he
find it?
“And
when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.
“And
when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying
unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
“I
say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that
repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no
repentance.” (Luke 15:2–7)
What
a powerful message! This parable of the Lord is an assignment of love for us to
search out and rescue individuals in need—particularly in this instance, those
who have strayed from the fold.
Our
responsibility as brothers and sisters in the Church is to help those who may
be lost to find their way, and to help those who have lost that which is
precious to find their treasure again. The scriptures clearly teach us that
every member has the obligation to strengthen his fellow members.
The
Savior lovingly yet pointedly emphasized this when he said to Peter, “When you
are converted, strengthen thy brethren” (Luke 22:32). May I say the same to each
of you: When you are converted, please strengthen your brethren and sisters.
There are so many who hunger, sometimes without knowing the cause of their
hunger. There are spiritual truths and principles that can be as a strong
foundation for safety to their souls, peace to their hearts and minds if we
would but turn our prayers and active concern to them.
There
may be someone who will say, “Well, we know a man or a woman who can never be
touched.” Of course he or she can be touched. He or she can always be blessed
and helped! There is the promise of scripture. It reads, “Charity never
faileth.” Charity, applied long enough, never fails to work its miracle either
in the individual, in us, in both of us, or in others around the individual.
Like
President John Taylor, I believe there is none who cannot be converted—or I
might say reactivated—if the right person makes the right approach at the right
time in the right way with the right spirit. I know that the blessings of our
Father in Heaven will attend our efforts if we prepare ourselves, and if we
happily live gospel principles, and if we will seek our Heavenly Father’s
assistance.
Let’s all of us as members everywhere who
love the Lord and desire to do his will, reach out and with love and
inspiration do the righteous labors required by helping those in need.
Temporary flashes of interest and enthusiasm will not achieve the desired
results. But his desired results can come, and will come more often than any of
us imagines, if we will prayerfully enlarge our sustained efforts. Not only
will choice blessings of the Lord come into your lives and the lives of others,
but we will draw closer to the Lord and feel the presence of His love and His
spirit.
Pres. Thomas
S Monson: I have said it before; I will say it
again: there is no fog so dense, no night so dark, no gale so strong, no
mariner so lost but what the lighthouse of the Lord can rescue. It beckons
through the storms of life. It calls, “This way to
safety. This way to home.” It sends forth signals of light easily seen
and never failing. If followed, those signals will guide you back to your
heavenly home.
There
is hope for each of us. I am so grateful for this experience in my life. It enabled
me to discover the rich blessings of the Atonement, and find my own testimony
of Jesus Christ which I now bear: I know that my Heavenly Father lives. I know he is aware of all of us. I know that he will always take us back no matter what and that he wants us back.
In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.
Now you can see why I was nervous and worried about this. In the LDS church and Utah in particular it seems, No one admits their mistakes or that they have made any. Growing up here I always felt like there was a big push to have the appearance of being perfect.
I worried before and since about the possible judgement that may come from telling people this. I am very grateful for this experience and I hope in some way that it can benefit other people. I am grateful that my Bishop would ask me to speak about this openly. It was really good for me to sit and reflect on my feelings about it and to remind myself of what I went through. There is so much good we can do for others. I am so grateful for those that helped me!
I have had an incredible response, including a very sweet letter from my Stake President. I hope that it is and was taken in the right way. I am so grateful that I was there and that I got to participate last week. It was one of the most spiritual moments of my life. I have rarely felt a spirit like that in a sacrament meeting. I feel so blessed! Sister Nelson that spoke about her own struggles and trials. The Bishop's talk was wonderful! I love his simple, sweet personality and manner that he speaks in.
The Stake President's talk was just as powerful.
Again, What a wonderful meeting!!!!
Now you can see why I was nervous and worried about this. In the LDS church and Utah in particular it seems, No one admits their mistakes or that they have made any. Growing up here I always felt like there was a big push to have the appearance of being perfect.
I worried before and since about the possible judgement that may come from telling people this. I am very grateful for this experience and I hope in some way that it can benefit other people. I am grateful that my Bishop would ask me to speak about this openly. It was really good for me to sit and reflect on my feelings about it and to remind myself of what I went through. There is so much good we can do for others. I am so grateful for those that helped me!
I have had an incredible response, including a very sweet letter from my Stake President. I hope that it is and was taken in the right way. I am so grateful that I was there and that I got to participate last week. It was one of the most spiritual moments of my life. I have rarely felt a spirit like that in a sacrament meeting. I feel so blessed! Sister Nelson that spoke about her own struggles and trials. The Bishop's talk was wonderful! I love his simple, sweet personality and manner that he speaks in.
The Stake President's talk was just as powerful.
Again, What a wonderful meeting!!!!
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteAnnie, you are a light to so many people, including me. The church needs more people like you who are willing to be open about what their journey to a testimony has been. When you have questions or doubts even when you have gained a testimony, the church can be a lonely place where people don't necessarily want to hear a personal story that isn't all rainbows and positivity. I think if more people were open and honest like you, it would bring those people out if the shadows that feel alone because they would know that if their friend could come back into the fold, they could too. It seems sometimes that trials of faith are treated like a disease that can spread so we shut the people off that are struggling in order to not infect ourselves. It's always a wonderful thing when someone reaches out like your friend did and includes someone who may be temporarily weaker. Thank you for sharing your story with me. I know you made quite an impression on many people because they have told me over and over what I missed out on by being out of town! I love you and am so thankful to have you as my friend.
ReplyDeleteOf course you speak the week we are out of town so we miss you and your spectacular sacrament meeting! Thank you for posting it here. You are amazing in every way. Thank you for sharing, thank you for being real -- I can't stand the fake LDS 'perfect' persona. I went through something fairly similar as a teenager and it wasn't easy being constantly judged as being and thinking differently - there are many in the church who can be so hurtful and cruel especially those "who have no need of repentance!" It is so wonderful that there are people like you who embrace everybody -- you truly are a lighthouse for others showing them the way back to Christ. Thanks for being a light in my life!
ReplyDeleteWhat a powerful talk! I know that I can look back on time of serious repentance and feel grateful, not for the fact that I sinned, but for the lessons I learned by repenting.
ReplyDelete(I love the Monson's, too. They're amazing people.)
Very powerful talk on repentance and the gift and power of forgiveness. This talk is a very powerful one. One that very few people can speak of from their own experience, and be able to contrast the feelings of guilt vs the feelings of peace that comes with forgiveness after the repentance process is complete.
ReplyDeleteWell done Anny! I think when you are converted as adult you gain a profound testimony of the gospel, I feel the spirit so strong at this very moment!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing and show such strength. You are a great example to many! No one is perfect, all though they may act like it at times. Everyone is dealing with something and if not at this time they eventually will. This life is not easy, we all have our own personal trials. My husband has also seen some very dark and lonely times as well but with a lot of dedication and work we have pushed through them. It was so very hard for him to face anyone or to admit to anything in the beginning but now he enjoys talking to others who share some of his trials and who have experienced or are experiencing it right now. He is such a good teacher, leader, example and wants to help anyone and everyone. I think because of what he has gone through he is more able to reach out to others, to be real, to admit when he is wrong and he doesn't shy away from anything any more. He is proud of who he is and you should be too. You are some of the two strongest people I know. We love you and if there is anything EVER we can do for you and your cute family please let us know. I am so bummed we missed your talk. :( Thanks so much for sharing it on your blog though. I love reading all your stories. They are so "REAL". Hugs!
ReplyDelete