Sunday, April 17, 2011

Buffalo Run

I ran this race at the beginning of the month and haven't been able to write about it yet...I have to say this was so much harder than I thought it was going to be and I was sore for 2 weeks.
Me before the race out on Antelope Island. I had been to Antelope Island for field trips, to ride my horses and just for fun several times in my life. When I signed up for the race I thought that the race was going to be on the flat beautiful trail that circles the island along the shoreline. This is what I was expecting and had in my head. I thought I can run 16 miles no problem!!!

Look at me smiling...I did not know what I was getting into at this point.
Running up the first hill of the race which only lasted for about 3 MILES!!!! I kept thinking OK it will get better, We will have to go downhill at some point....There was not much down hill and what was downhill was absolute knee jarring. I still felt good though.

At this point in the race, I was just enjoying the beautiful scene before me. I kept thinking about how amazing it is that we have this beautiful world to live in. I kept praying and telling my heavenly father all of the things I was grateful for with every step...What a beautiful run this was at this point. Gratitude in every step for all of the big and small miracles and wonders that I have in this life.



I even saw Buffalo......

I was so excited to see my friend Spencer. I have known him since we were 11 or 12...We swam together as kids and teenagers. I just love him and have always been so grateful that he is my friend. Such a nice man. His wife ran the 25k too(but she was FAR FASTER than me) Spence ran the 50k and is just a machine. This picture was taken when I had ran about 5 miles and I was still smiling..He had ran about 12. He said to me well the next 5 miles are pretty hard but you will be ok. HE LIED!!!! The next 7 miles were so hard, Steep, muddy and just yucky!

I have never been so happy to finish a race in my life! It was beautiful and I had an amazing run but I learned my limitations. My stomach/side/pancreas gave out at about mile 13 and I mostly walked the last 3 miles. It is so frustrating when my legs and lungs could have easily run the entire distance only to have my side hurt so badly that I wouldn't have been able to run for anything.
I was very happy to have Joey there waiting for me. He was so patient to sit in the car the entire time I was running. I am now the proud owner of a mug that says I am a finisher for the Buffalo Run 25k!

2 comments:

  1. You know your race is a lot like life. We all start off ignorantly happy and excited to start our trek on earth. Our minds are full of anticipation. Quickly we see that our Heavenly Father has a different path for us to travel than the smooth easy path we have invisioned. We find ourselves running uphill, but we conquer it and become very proud of ourselves for accomplishing so much and feel we can take on the world. We even feel grateful for the 'journey' only to find out that we haven't seen anything yet. Then the real trials and storms roll in and we are tested and tried to the brink of despair. Our once steady pace dwindles to a slow but determined crawl. Finally as we cross the finish line (leave this life) beaten, bruised and scarred we arrive victorious and are instantly welcomed by family and friends. It will all be worth it in the end, I just hope we get more than a mug for our troubles!

    ReplyDelete